One year ago today, I arrived on the foamy shores of Christchurch. Well, I came by plane and I wasn’t entirely new to New Zealand. Some would argue that Christchurch is like no other place and I would agree. I planned on staying 90 days and stayed for an extra 275. Thank you Immigration NZ!
In that amount of time, I’ve accomplished so much. Below is a list of those crazy happenings:
- Started a cycling social club called cycleCHCH. Here, I made friends who also loved bikes, riding, and parties. This year, I was gifted the cycle-powered cinema from Gap Filler along with RAD Bikes. Thru this club and with the help of Spark Bikes, brought proper bike parking to events such as TEDxCHCH.
- Speaking of RAD Bikes— I made a whole new family there. I learned so much and built two RAD bikes- one of which I took on my first cycle tour of the West Coast.
- I started a small press (fail!) and then started Tui Cold Brew, my latest venture. I’ve drank enough coffee for a lifetime.
- I found the best job on the planet as the Start-Up Activator at Ministry of Awesome. I’ve hosted many Coffee and Jams and been witness on the front line of epic growth in a budding city. Hosted Unreasonable Lab New Zealand – a 5-day business model accelerator.
- I spoke at Pecha Kucha to a crowd of nearly 600 people about the brief history of cycling in Christchurch. Public speaking is my jam!
- I learned how to surf and am now moving to the beach in a week. Life achievement unlocked!
- I managed to avoid snowboarding and skiing all year and put my bike on the snow. Another life goal achieved!
- I’ve been published in two magazines and managed to write nearly 100 articles on various mediums. My voice has been heard. Through that, I also tutored kids in creative writing and boosted my passion for literacy.
- I was in Wellington 3 times. Never made it to Auckland. Also touched The Catlins, Greymouth and Hokitika, Nelson, Hanmer Springs, Akaroa and all the Banks Peninsula, Kaikora, Queenstown, Wanaka, Aoraki/Mt. Cook, Twizel, Tekapo, Foxton, and Waikanae.
- Raced in the Giant 12-Hour, ventured up and down the Port Hills too many times, Bottle Lake-d and such. MTB was my thing this year! Hence the tear in my achilles. 🙂
- Established Cake Night, a weeknight event where friends gather ’round to eat cake and be merry. No further obligations required.
I honestly feel like I could go on but I won’t. Because it all makes me want to nap. It’s been a crazy year– one I never thought in my wildest dreams would come true. Phew!